Welcome to the Mountjoy Ministries Blog

This blog was authored by Bryan W. Sheldon, author and Bible teacher. His books are listed below. The studies in the blog are offered in the desire that they may be helpful in directing readers to the truths contained in the Bible.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Christianity Considered (part 2)



Who was Jesus (Continued)



Jesus, the great I AM

Jesus used the phrase ‘I AM’ as a title. The name ‘I AM’ was the personal name God used to identify Himself to Moses and the elders of Israel at the time of the Exodus. Jesus took this great name of God to Himself, and used it on many occasions in various situations. His liberal use of this phrase was designed to indicate that He was the incarnation of the God of Israel. The strongest example is in John, chapter 8, when He said: “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” In this statement, He not only stated He was Israel’s God, the ‘I AM’, but also supported it with the declaration that He existed before Abraham. (Abraham was the father of the Jewish nation and lived some two millennia before the birth of Jesus of Nazareth). The “most assuredly” at the beginning of the declaration emphasised its importance. Here are some statements of Jesus when the name I AM was incorporated into descriptions of His person and work.

“I am the bread of life”. (6.35); (6.48); (6.51) This statement is set in the context of the INCARNATION “For I have come down from heaven”. (see 6.33,38,41,42,51)

“I am the light of the world.” (8.12); (9.5); 12.46) He put this in the context of the His then current MINISTRY. “As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” (John 9.5)

“I am the door of the sheep” (10.7) (10.9) and “I am the good shepherd:”(10.11); (10.14) These are set in the context of the DEATH of Christ. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.” (John 10.11,14,15)

“I am the resurrection and the life” (11.25) is set in the context of RESURRECTION. “Jesus said to her, ‘Your brother will rise again.’” (John 11.23 )

“I am the way, the truth, and the life” (14.6) is set in the context of the ASCENSION of Christ. “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you”. (John 14.1,2)

“I am the vine” (15.1); (15.5) is set in the context of a promised PENTECOST. “But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me”. (John 15.26)

This set of statements from the incarnate God encompassed elements from the whole cycle of His earthly life (from heaven to earth to heaven) - the incarnation, ministry, death, resurrection, ascension, return to the Father and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Individually each 'I am' is impressive, but as a group of interlocking truths they are compelling. Each of these statements begins with the name of God that encapsulates His eternal nature.

He claimed authority over the lives of people

Jesus invited a love and a loyalty that took precedence over love and loyalty for parents, children, possessions, and even life itself. Without giving him this kind of devotion people could not be His disciples (Matthew 8:21,22; 10:37; 19:29; Luke 14:26-33).

He expected people to suffer insults, persecution and slander for His sake (Matthew 5:11, Luke 6:22) and to lose their lives for His sake (Matthew 10:39; 16:25).

He expected people to acknowledge him before others and said they would be rewarded for doing so (Matthew 10:32). His Father would honour those who served him (John 12:26).

He claimed to be His disciples' only Master, Teacher and Lord (Mt.23:8-10; John 13:14).

To know Him

To know him was to know God (John 8:19; 14:7); to see him was to see God (John 12:45; 14:9); to believe in him was to believe in God (John 12:44); to receive him was to receive God (Mark 9:37); to hate him was to hate God (John 15:23); and to honour him was to honour God (John 5:23).

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment