Welcome to the Mountjoy Ministries Blog

This blog was authored by Bryan W. Sheldon, author and Bible teacher. His books are listed below. The studies in the blog are offered in the desire that they may be helpful in directing readers to the truths contained in the Bible.

Friday, November 6, 2009

Discipleship Considered 1

Discipleship Considered 1


First Considerations

What we have from God is a life to be lived. It began with a birth and continues with growth. And like natural life - education, good practices and a commitment to a healthy lifestyle are what are required. In the early years, parents make sure that their child has a healthy diet, rest and regimes designed to strengthen the growing body and quicken the developing mind. But in the course of time, all activities will take on a different hue – they will be designed to prepare the child for independence. For there must come a time, sooner or later, when the child takes responsibility for his/her own life. Similarly, as new-born Christians our early years should be devoted to acquiring good, healthy, spiritual habits and a godly lifestyle. The Bible says of Jesus that He: “grew and became strong in spirit, filled with wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him.” (Luke 2:40) Once He passed the age of twelve (His character formed although not yet finished) He took responsibility for His own life. It was at the time when, in the Jewish culture, a boy became a man. Then, attending His first Passover in the Temple He said, “Did you not know that I must be about my Father’s business?” (Luke 2:49)

The purpose of this blog is to refresh our commitment to Christian character, the kind of character of which Jesus would approve. It is the path of discipleship and it is not an easy path to tread – there will be no offer of a short-cut to spirituality. We know of no baptism (or other experience) that will transform you into a super-Christian overnight. There are no quick fixes. But for those who are prepared to develop good Christian character, much is available to them – certainly a fulfilling life and a service for God.

The choice is yours

When Jesus made the offer of discipleship He put it in very strong terms, stronger certainly, than we would do today. In some cases, He made discipleship the equivalent of salvation. He said, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost? (Luke 9:23-25). Then again: “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple” (Luke 14:26-27). While we must understand the texts in the light of the historical Messianic offer that Jesus made to the Hebrew nation, it is still difficult to weaken them to accommodate a more watered down discipleship for the twenty-first century.

Remember – no excuses!

It may be, at this stage you might be saying, ‘I don’t think I can change, I’m too old’; or, ‘I’m too set in my ways’; or ‘I have too many commitments – family, church, and employment – to be able to take on the responsibility of discipleship’. Jesus was aware of the human tendency to make excuses and warned against it – so we should be aware that it might lead to a troubled conscience later. Those that have such opportunities to follow but reject them may live to reflect on ‘what might have been’.

Let us take responsibility for our own spiritual lives and not find excuses for our failures: just think how they will sound if expressed to Christ at his judgment seat.

‘I am sorry, Lord, that I didn’t embrace the path of discipleship, but I didn’t have the time’.

‘I am sorry, Lord, that my life did not come up to the standard expected of a Christian, but I had this besetting sin, and I had no power to change’.

‘I am sorry, Lord, that my life did not glorify You, but it was the way I was brought up - my childhood formed my character, and I couldn’t change’.
‘I am sorry, Lord, that I didn’t do more for You but the whole culture into which I was born was anti-Christian, and there was no way I could swim against the tide’.

‘I am sorry, Lord, that my life was less than perfect but my fallen nature would not allow me to do the things I would, and often compelled me to do the things I did not want to do’.

‘I am sorry, Lord, that my life was a disappointment to You, but the Christian life was just too difficult. I was not strong enough’.

The example of Jesus

Jesus never shied away from the will of the Father. At no stage did He ever have any other ambition; at no stage did He say it was too difficult; and at no stage did He say, ‘I cannot do it because the whole world is against me’. He set his mind to do all that the Father required, and He accomplished it because He made use of the resources placed at His disposal; the help and leading of the Spirit of God; the wisdom and insight of the T’nach; and the strength and encouragement He received when in prayer fellowship with His Father. What we need to emphasise is that everyone can be a disciple. Everything changed when we became a Christian. Old things passed away and everything began fresh. We are not slaves of our environment, or our upbringing or our culture; we are new creatures in Christ and can live for Him.

More next time

No comments:

Post a Comment